Round 1: UWR Flash
I have to mulligan to 6 each game. I really need to take more detailed notes post game, as I'm writing this several days late I forget most of the details. What I really remember standing out during the matches was fighting through what felt like a million counterflux, but was really just 2 per game, and having to try to bait them out to land my more important spells.
Game 3 was in particular tense. At one point I have 2 Angel of Serenity on the board, 1 with an enemy Restoration Angel and Boros Reckoner, and another with my Thragtusk and an enemy Restoration Angel. He was sitting at 16 life, with only ground blockers available. He had just played Assemble the Legion last turn, and has 1 blue mana left untapped. I have a detention sphere in hand, but I also have a Kessig Wolf Run that I can pump for 6. I'm sitting at 9 life and am not at risk at being lethal damage on the crack back unless he draws into more of his searing spears/boros charms. I decide if he has unsummon, he has it, and I make the swing and pump the Angel for 6 that has my Thragtusk under it and win, but I was dead nervous if I was making the right call as getting that bounced to hand would have set me very far back.
Record: 1-0
Round 2: Bant Humans
I got paired down this round. I had never seen this deck before, and found it interesting, but weak in overall power level. He played cards like Wingcrafter, Champion of the Parish, Nearheath Pilgrim, but I just Supreme Verdict his board, put out Tamiyo and he continue to draw lands. I ultimate Tamiyo with a Supreme Verdict and Sphinx's Revelation in hand and he quickly concedes.
Game 2 went much like Game 1, I just had gas all through my hand and he quickly floods out again and the game goes very quickly.
Record: 2-0
Round 3: Big Naya
Game 1 he plays 2 Arbor Elves and gets stuck on 3 mana, I eventually Supreme the board and drop a Tamiyo, he continues to not draw any lands and scoops up to go to game 2. Game 2 I get stuck on 4 land, including all my lands entering tapped due to being the buddy core set lands, and I quickly go down. Game 3 I kept a really stupid risky hand of 7 with a Kessig and a Breeding pool, with 2 azorius charms, detention sphere, and Supreme Verdict and don't draw a 3rd land forever, and when I do it's all U/G lands and he drops an Acidic Slime destroying one of my lands and I quickly scoop.
Record: 2-1
Round 4: Naya Combat Shenanigans
I don't know what else to call this deck but by this title. It trys to blow you out in one swing with combat tricks such as Gore-Clan Rampager, Rubblehulk, Boros Charm, Moment of Heroism, while playing mainboard Thalia. It apparently also had things like Slaughterhorn that I didn't see. I just always made sure to block it because that combo become much worse if the creature doesn't have trample, and if he didn't have a Gore-Clan Rampager in hand. Game 2 he didn't play a spell until his turn 5 and he hit every land, apparantly he just drew a bunch of lands and I quickly took over the game before that.
Record: 3-1
I felt really stupid for losing Round 3 due to not mulliganing intelligently, but was grateful that I was still able to make top 4 with ease. I ended up choosing packs and got 5 Innistrad packs. First pack I opened had an Olivia Voldaren. I also got a Gavony Township, the rest of the rares were pretty bad that I don't care to remember, but I did pull a foil Nevermore, which I traded off for an Akroma's Memorial and a foil Angelic Arbiter.
Overall I liked the addition of the Angel of Serenity to the main board, I never saw Rest in Peace where I would want to, so I'm definitely thinking of moving that back to the sideboard and putting 1 Blind Obedience into the mainboard to try it out. I'm also considering taking out the Dissipates in the sideboard in favor of Negate/Dispel as I didn't even bother bringing them in against the UWR flash because I just can't leave that much mana open, especially in the early game where I need to be putting down threats as well as to stave off the Boros Reckoners and Restoration Angels. I'm also going to be putting that Akroma's Memorial into the sideboard for any midrange type deck, especially Jund.
No comments:
Post a Comment